[Settfa] Tuesday 12/02, Tommaso Russo

kubis at math.cas.cz kubis at math.cas.cz
Fri Feb 8 18:00:02 CET 2019

 Tuesday 12th February, 10:00am

 Speaker:Tommaso Russo, Czech Technical University in Prague (?VUT)
 Title: Separation and reflexivity

 Abstract

 Over the last years, the study of separated sets of unit vectors has been successfullyextended to the non-separable context. Perhaps the first spark was lit by Mercourakis andVassiliadis who have identified certain classes of compact Hausdorff spaces K forwhich the unit sphere of the Banach space C(K) contains an uncountable (1+)-separatedset, that is, an uncountable set whose distinct elements have distances strictly greater than1.

In this talk, based on the joint preprint with P. Hajek and T. Kania, we shall firstly revise the status of the art, indicating possible directions where further investigationseems to be necessary. In the second part, we shall concentrate on the study of the problemwhen X is a (non-separable) reflexive Banach space.

(See the attached pdf file for more details.)

 For more information see the seminar web page at
 https://calendar.math.cas.cz/set-theory-and-analysis-actual .