[Settfa] Tuesday 04/07, <span style="font-family:sans-serif; font-size:16.6043px">Laura Wirth</span>

kubis at math.cas.cz kubis at math.cas.cz
Sat Jul 1 09:00:01 CEST 2023

 Tuesday 4th July, 10:00am

  Place: IM&nbsp;in konírna&nbsp;

 Speaker:Laura Wirth, University of Konstanz, Germany
 Title: Archimedean Ordered Fields with(out) the Independence Property and Binary Classification

 Abstract

 Shelah was the first to formulate a conjecture suggesting a classificationof fields without the independence property (cf. [5]). With time, this conjecture

has evolved, was modified, and was also specialized for the case of ordered fields(cf. [1],[2],[3],[4]). In my investigations, the focus lies on systematically examiningarchimedean ordered fields for the independence property. In this framework, Iconjecture that any archimedean ordered field without the independence propertyis real closed.

In my talk, I present my methods for addressing this specialized conjecture. Inparticular, I exhibit an approach for verifying the independence property and I

present several examples of fields that I am considering. In the end, I give a glimpseof how the independence property relates to learnability issues in the context ofbinary classification.

The necessary notions will be introduced.