[Settfa] Tuesday 01/03, Piotr Nowakowski

kubis at math.cas.cz kubis at math.cas.cz
Sat Feb 26 11:00:01 CET 2022

 Tuesday 1st March, 10:00am

  Place: IM in konírna

 Speaker:Piotr Nowakowski, University of Lodz, Poland
 Title: On the difference set of a central Cantor set

 Abstract

 Let $C(\lambda )\subset [0,1]$ denote the central Cantor set generated by a sequence $\lambda =(\lambda _{n})\in (0,\frac{1}{2}) ^{\mathbb{N}}$. By the known trichotomy, the difference set $C(\lambda )-C(\lambda )$ of $C(\lambda )$ is one of three possible sets: a finite union of closed intervals, a Cantor set, or a Cantorval. Our main result describes effective conditions for $(\lambda _{n})$ which guarantee that $C(\lambda )-C(\lambda )$ is a Cantorval. We show that these conditions can be expressed in several equivalent forms. We give an application of the proved theorems for the achievement sets of some fast convergent series.

 For more information see the seminar web page at
 https://calendar.math.cas.cz/set-theory-and-analysis-actual .