[Settfa] Seminar 5 April 2022

Wieslaw Kubis kubis at math.cas.cz
Sat Apr 2 08:53:23 CEST 2022

Dear all,

We shall have a seminar next Tuesday, 5.04.2022, 10:00 (as usual,
Konirna, Zitna 25). Details are below.

Best wishes,
Wieslaw

Speaker: Kevin Beanland (Washington & Lee University)

Title: Uniformly factoring weakly compact operators

Abstract: In this talk, we will discuss recent progress finding uniform
versions of the Davis-Figiel-Johnson Pelczynski theorem stating that
every weakly compact operator factors through a reflexive Banach space.
One such recent theorem due to Antunes, Braga, and I states that there
is a reflexive space $Z$so that each weakly compact operator from $X \to
L_1[0,1]$for $X$ separable, factors through $Z$. We will discuss the
descriptive set-theoretic techniques we used to prove this result and
state many open problems.