[Proof Complexity] Fwd: Prague seminar on Monday - Azza Gaysin

thapen thapen at math.cas.cz
Mon Apr 11 00:09:35 CEST 2022

Azza Gaysin will give the second part of her talk on CSPs in our logic
seminar tomorrow, Monday 11th April, at 16:00 Prague time.

It will be broadcast on zoom. To join use the link
https://cesnet.zoom.us/j/472648284?pwd=ZTlxeHhqWlltR1AzZC9CTHgzZ2tRZz09
Passcode: 017107 (if required)

  Speaker:Azza Gaysin, Charles University
  Title: Proof complexity of CSP on algebras with linear congruence

  Abstract

  CSP (constraint satisfaction problems) is a class of problems deciding
whether there exists a homomorphism from an instance relational
structure to a target one. The CSP dichotomy is a profound result
recently proved by Zhuk (2020, J. ACM, 67) and Bulatov (2017, FOCS, 58).
It says that for each fixed target structure, CSP is either NP-complete
or p-time. Zhuk's algorithm for the p-time case of the problem
eventually leads to algebras with linear congruence.

  We show that Zhuk's algorithm for algebras with linear congruence can
be formalized in the theory V^1. Thus, using known methods of proof
complexity, Zhuk's algorithm for negative instances of the problem can
be augmented by extra information: it not only rejects X that cannot be
homomorphically mapped into A but produces a certificate - a short
extended Frege (EF) propositional proof - that this rejection is
correct.

  For more information see the seminar web page at
  https://calendar.math.cas.cz/logic-seminar-actual .