[Settfa] Tuesday 30/03, Ivan Di Liberti

kubis at math.cas.cz kubis at math.cas.cz
Sat Mar 27 09:00:02 CET 2021

 Tuesday 30th March, 10:30am

  Place: Zoom:
https://cesnet.zoom.us/j/93170324507?pwd=NEtINFlIUGZEQVZZMmVJOHRNNUlYQT09

 Speaker:Ivan Di Liberti, IM CAS
 Title: Notions of dimension

 Abstract

 Dimensions are an ubiquitous concept in mathematics. From the bare cardinality (of a crude set), to the cardinality of a base (of a vector space), or the cardinality of a dense subset (of a topological space). During this talk we will present a way to define a dimension in a category, called “presentability rank” and see some of its properties. Then, we will play and bend this notion to encompass some very natural examples. We will see that a vast majority of the notions of dimension fall under this perturbation of the presentability rank. During the talk we will have to introduce orthogonal factorization systems as a technical tool. Presentability rank is standard concept in the theory of locally presentable categories, while the variation on which we will focus is the building block of a joint work with Jiri Rosicky: https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.10980

 For more information see the seminar web page at
 https://calendar.math.cas.cz/set-theory-and-analysis-actual .