Tuesday 02/06, Marek Cúth

kubis at math.cas.cz kubis at math.cas.cz
Fri May 29 11:00:01 CEST 2020

 Tuesday 2nd June, 10:00am

  Place: IM in Blue lecture hall (Modrá posluchárna)

 Speaker:Marek Cúth, Charles University
 Title: The complexity of isometry classes of Banach spaces

 Abstract

 I will present our recent joint work with M. Doucha, M.

Doležal and O. Kurka (seehttps://arxiv.org/
994), where we

develop a new natural topological approach to coding of separable Banach

spaces. It makes meaningful questions such as which Banach spaces are

the easiest to define, up to isometry (and also up to isomorphism), or

which classes of Banach spaces are the easiest to define - in the

descriptive set theoretic framework. These questions are in turn related

to several conjectures on linear/nonlinear geometry of Banach spaces.

The paper is inspired by the recent paper "G. Godefroy and J.

Saint-Raymond, Descriptive complexity of some isomorphism classes of

Banach spaces, J. Funct. Anal., 275 (2018), pp. 1008–1022", however, it

goes quite further and thoroughly compares ours and theirs approaches.

Among the results, there are new characterizations of the separable

infinite-dimensional Hilbert space as the separable infinite-dimensional

Banach space whose both isometry and isomorphism classes are the easiest

to define among Banach spaces (such statements are made absolutely

precise). We also precisely characterize the complexity of the isometry

classes of the most classical Banach spaces such as L_p[0,1], l_p, for

finite 1<=p, c_0, and also of the Gurarii space. The paper opens a new

area for research and a we suggest several open problems.

 For more information see the seminar web page at
 https://calendar.math.cas.cz/set-theory-and-analysis-actual .