[Settfa] Tuesday 04/12, Karen Strung

kubis at math.cas.cz kubis at math.cas.cz
Thu Nov 29 09:00:02 CET 2018

 Tuesday 4th December, 10:00am

 Speaker:Karen Strung, Radboud Universiteit, Nijmegen, Netherlands
 Title: On the classification of C*-algebras with examples from Smale spaces

 Abstract
Let A and B be separable simple unital nuclear C*-algebras with finite nuclear dimension. Then A is *-isomorphic to B if and only if their so-called Elliott invariants (consisting of K-theoretical and tracial data) are isomorphic. This remarkable theorem is the culmination of many years of work by many mathematicians. It is an interesting question to determine what classes of C*-algebras are covered by the classification theorem.

In the first half of the talk, I will give an introduction to the classification program. In the second half, I will focus on the classification of a particularly nice class of C*-algebras: the C*-algebras arising from Smale spaces.  A Smale space is a type of hyperbolic topological dynamical system with a particularly tractable local structure. Via a groupoid construction, we can construct C*-algebras from Smale spaces. In particular, the so-called homoclinic algebras associated to mixing Smale spaces are classified by their Elliott invariants. This is based on my joint work with Robin Deeley.

 For more information see the seminar web page at
 https://calendar.math.cas.cz/set-theory-and-analysis-actual .