[Settfa] Tuesday 19/09, Tomasz Kochanek

kubis at math.cas.cz kubis at math.cas.cz
Thu Sep 14 09:00:02 CEST 2017

 Tuesday 19th September, 10:00am

 Speaker:Tomasz Kochanek, Institute of Mathematics
Polish Academy of Sciences
 Title: Three-space properties of asymptotic ideal seminorms

 Abstract

We introduce two "flavors" of seminorms of Banach spaces (or, more
generally, operators acting on them), each having both type and cotype
version, and each of these having both weak and weak* version, resulting in eight
families of seminorms. The intuition behind these new quantities is to define asymptotic
versions of the classical Rademacher and Pisier (martingale) types and
cotypes. We will describe our seminorms in terms of asymptotic structures, discuss
some ideal and duality properties. As an application of this theory, we will prove
that having Szlenk power type at most p is a three-space property. This strengthens
and, in fact, gives a sharp version of an earlier result by Brooker and Lancien
(J. Math. Anal. Appl. 2013) who proved that any twisted sum of Banach spaces with
Szlenk power types p and q has power type at most pq. The talk is based on a joint work
with R.M. Causey and S. Draga.

 For more information see the seminar web page at
 https://calendar.math.cas.cz/set-theory-and-analysis-actual .