[bddcml-users] Complex number support

Jakub Sistek sistek at math.cas.cz
Fri Jan 22 16:28:55 CET 2021

Hi Sebastian,

first of all, thank you for your interest in BDDCML!

So far, there has been no need for supporting complex numbers in BDDCML,
so you are the first one asking for this :-) What applications do you
have in mind?

Implementation-wise, this may not be too bad, as you suggest, although
the "double" type is hard-coded in a lot of subroutines where it would
require changing. Even blopex has a version for complex numbers,
although one should start without the adaptivity. And yes, it would be
applicable only to Hermitian matrices. MUMPS supports all the types one
needs, so this should be straightforward.

More flexible variable types would be helpful in other scenarios I am
interested in, such as
* using long integers for certain indices for very large problems
* using single precision instead of double

Also algorithmically, I am not aware of any principal issues. I know
other DD codes support complex numbers, such as HPDDM or the PCBDDC
preconditioner in PETSc. I know the developers, so I would be able to
ask for advice.

This would actually be a nice extension of the functionality of BDDCML!
If you were interested in helping with this, I would be happy to give
you access to the project on Github and we could try to devise such
version in a new branch together.

Let me know what you think.

Best wishes,

Jakub