[Settfa] Fwd: a course of topos theory

Wieslaw Kubis kubis at math.cas.cz
Wed Feb 7 17:43:17 CET 2024

Dear all,

I'm forwarding the announcement of a short course that might be of
interest to some of you.

Best wishes,

Wieslaw

Starting next Monday, Feb. 12, Amir Tabatabai will give a course
consisting of seven to eight lectures on Topos theory. The lectures will
take place in the Institute of Mathematics, lecture room in the rear
building, from 14:00 to 15:30. They will also be streamed on zoom

zoom number: 472 648 284
passcode: 017 107

Title: "Topos Theory: a unified approach to independence"

Abstract: A topos is a category with some basic structure admitting a
wide range of interesting interpretations. It can be a set-theoretical
universe where the alternative types of mathematics take place, a
generalized notion of space that lifts geometrical intuition far beyond
the usual topological spaces or a syntax-free presentation of a
first-order theory of some sort.  In this course on topos theory, we
mainly focus on its first interpretation and its role in model
construction, unifying techniques from forcing and Heyting-valued models
to different types of realizability. We start with a very short and
gentle introduction to category theory. Then, we introduce elementary
toposes and as their concrete examples, we present the categories of
sheaves and Heyting-valued sets, on the one hand, and the effective
topos, on the other. Then, we move to the connection between topoi and
logic to present a topos-theoretical version of some independence
results including the independence of the continuum hypothesis and the
axiom of choice. We also use toposes to realize some exotic, yet
coherent possibilities including the so-called computable (resp.
Brouwerian) universe in which all the functions on natural numbers
(resp. real line) are computable (resp. continuous). These models are
used to prove the consistency of Church-Turing thesis (resp. Brouwer's
theorem on continuity of all functions on the reals) from intuitionistic
arithmetic (resp. analysis).  Despite what it may appear at the first
glance, the course only assumes familiarity with some basic concepts in
first-order logic, algebra and topology and hence it must be accessible
to all mathematics and computer science students. The rest, including
the preliminaries on category theory, will be built during the course,
whenever it’s needed.  We do not fix the number of lectures beforehand
as it may change according to the audience and the topics they find more
interesting. However, our rough estimate for the core material is eight
lectures.

For more information including the references, the recorded video lectures
and any future change to the usual time and place of the course check
https://rb.gy/oexsbv [rb.gy]

Pavel Pudlak