[Settfa] Seminar 10.10.2023, 10:00

Wieslaw Kubis kubis at math.cas.cz
Fri Oct 6 21:33:00 CEST 2023

Dear all,

Below is the announcement of the next seminar.

All the best,

Wieslaw

Well-posedness of a PDE in fluid dynamics and approximation properties
in Lipschitz-free spaces
<https://www.math.cas.cz/index.php/events/event/3627>

Richard Smith

University College Dublin

Tuesday, 10 October 2023 - 10:00 to 11:00IM, konírna

In this talk we present results in two areas that are very distantly
related via optimal transport theory. In the first part, we introduce
the ``Geometric Thin-Film equation'', which is a mathematical model of
droplet spreading in the long-wave limit, which includes a
regularization of the contact-line singularity. We sketch a proof of the
existence of weak solutions of this equation, and their well-posedness
with respect to the 1-Wasserstein distance, provided the initial
conditions (which are Radon measures on $\R$) have no atoms. This part
is joint work with L. Ó Náraigh and K. E. Pang (UCD).

In the second part, we consider a compact metrisable space or, more
generally, a ``properly metrisable'' topological space $T$, together
with the set of all compatible proper metrics $\mathcal{M}^T$, equipped
with the uniform topology. We present a sketch of the fact that if $T$
is uncountable then the set of metrics $d$ for which the Lipschitz-free
space $\mathcal{F}{(T,d)}$ fails the approximation property is dense in
$\mathcal{M}^T$. We also show that, if $T$ is compact, then the set of
metrics $d$ for which $\mathcal{F}{(T,d)}$ has the metric approximation
property is also dense in $\mathcal{M}^T$. This part is joint work with
F. Talimdjioski (UCD).