Tuesday 21/03, Martin Doležal

kubis at math.cas.cz kubis at math.cas.cz
Sat Mar 18 09:00:01 CET 2023

 Tuesday 21st March, 10:00am

  Place: IM in konírna

 Speaker:Martin Doležal, IM CAS
 Title: Categorical approach to graph limits

 Abstract

 The use of category theory in graph theory is quite common. We show that category theory may be useful even in the world of graph limits. To do so, we introduce a new category whose objects are certain generalizations of graphs where both distributions of vertices and edges are represented by abstract measures. This is a similar (but more general) approach as that ofs-graphons introduced by Kunszenti-Kovács, Lovász, and Szegedy in their paper on s-convergence. A morphism in our category can be viewed as a‘fuzzy’ map between the underlying spaces. The values of this map are not defined deterministically, we only know the probability that a given point is mapped to a given set. Formally, this idea is realized with the use of Markov kernels which, in a certain sense, preserve the distributions of vertices and edges.

Further, we introduce a natural notion of convergence of sequences of graphs (or, more generally, of objects of our category) which is heavilyinspired by s-convergence. Then we apply the categorical structure to show that each convergent sequence has a limit object.

This is a joint work with Wies?aw Kubi?.

 For more information see the seminar web page at
 https://calendar.math.cas.cz/set-theory-and-analysis-actual .