[Settfa] Wednesday 14/09, <span style="background-color:rgb(255, 255, 255); color:rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:small">Mihai Putinar</span>

kubis at math.cas.cz kubis at math.cas.cz
Sun Sep 11 21:00:01 CEST 2022

 Wednesday 14th September, 10:00am

  Place: IM&nbsp;in konírna

 Speaker:Mihai Putinar, University of California
 Title: Distance geometry and total positivity

 Abstract

 When the concept of metric space was born, the intrinsic characterization of euclidean distance was the source and motivation of foundational discoveries in harmonic analysis and function theory. We will follow the path of discovery, with emphasis on distance transforms which allow a metric space to isometrically embed into Hilbert space. Later on in this framework, totally positive kernels turned out to play a major and often, unexpected role. We will focus on a single element of this highly dynamic area of current research: the theory of Hirschman-Widder distributions. Natural connections to probability theory, group representations and matrix analysis will enter into discussion. Based on joint work with A. Belton, D. Guillot and A. Khare.

*** Please note that, exceptionally, the seminar will be on WEDNESDAY (not Tuesday) ***

 For more information see the seminar web page at
 https://calendar.math.cas.cz/set-theory-and-analysis-actual .