[Proof Complexity] MIAO seminar Mon Jan 9 at 14:00 CET with Margarita Paz Castro: Cut generation procedures via decision diagrams

Jakob Nordström jakob.nordstrom at cs.lth.se
Fri Dec 23 20:33:48 CET 2022

Dear all,

As we prepare for the holidays, this is just to let you know that after New Year's the MIAO seminars will resume operation on Monday January 9 at 14:00 CET. We will then have the pleasure of listening to a talk by Margarita Paz Castro, recipient of the ACP Doctoral Research Award 2021, titled "Cut generation procedures via decision diagrams". You find the abstract at the bottom of this message.

This will be a video seminar at https://lu-se.zoom.us/j/61925271827. Please feel free to share this information with colleagues who you think might be interested. We are also hoping to record the seminar and post on the MIAO Research YouTube channel https://youtube.com/@MIAOresearch for people who would like to hear the talk but cannot attend.

Most of our seminars consist of two parts: first a 50-55-minute regular talk, and then after a break a ca-1-hour in-depth technical presentation with (hopefully) a lot of interaction. The intention is that the first part of the seminar will give all listeners a self-contained overview of some exciting research results, and after the break people who have the time and interest will get an opportunity to really get into the technical details. (However, for those who feel that the first part was enough, it is perfectly fine to just discretely drop out during the break. No questions asked; no excuses needed.)

More information about upcoming MIAO seminars can be found at http://www.jakobnordstrom.se/miao-seminars/. In particular, we are also looking forward to the talk on Tuesday January 31 on "Combinatorial problems in algorithmic cheminformatics" with Jakob Lykke Andersen from the University of Southern Denmark.

And since it is that time of the year, let me also say that I would be most grateful for any help in spreading information about the current openings in the MIAO group, namely:
- Postdoc positions in TCS in Copenhagen with deadline January 10: http://www.jakobnordstrom.se/openings/Postdoc-UCPH-230110.html
- PhD positions in TCS and/or combinatorial optimization in Copenhagen with deadline January 10: http://www.jakobnordstrom.se/openings/PhD-UCPH-230110.html
- PhD positions in TCS and/or combinatorial optimization in Lund with deadline January 12: http://www.jakobnordstrom.se/openings/PhD-Lund-230112.html
- Postdoc positions in combinatorial optimization in Copenhagen with deadline January 15: http://www.jakobnordstrom.se/openings/Postdoc-UCPH-230115.html

If you do not wish to receive these announcements, or receive several copies of them, please send a message to jn at di.ku.dk.

Best regards,
Jakob Nordström

Monday Jan 9 at 14:00 on Zoom
Cut generation procedures via decision diagrams
(Margarita Paz Castro, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile)

Decision diagrams (DDs) are graphical structures that can encode complex combinatorial problems as network flow problems. This talk explains how to leverage this network flow reformulation to create valid inequalities for integer programming problems. We review the main components behind several cutting plane algorithms based on DDs and present recent advances in the field.

Jakob Nordström, Professor
University of Copenhagen and Lund University
Phone: +46 70 742 21 98
http://www.jakobnordstrom.se