[Proof Complexity] Seminar on Monday - Theodoros Papamakarios

thapen thapen at math.cas.cz
Thu Sep 30 08:46:25 CEST 2021

Theodoros Papamakarios will give a proof complexity talk in our online
logic seminar on Monday, at 16:00 Prague time - see the announcement
below.

To join go to
https://cesnet.zoom.us/j/472648284?pwd=ZTlxeHhqWlltR1AzZC9CTHgzZ2tRZz09
Passcode: 017107 (if required)

  Speaker: Theodoros Papamakarios, University of Chicago
  Title: A super-polynomial separation between resolution and cut-free
sequent calculus

  Abstract

  We show a quadratic separation between resolution and cut-free sequent
calculus width. We use this gap to get, first, a super-polynomial
separation between resolution and cut-free sequent calculus for refuting
CNF formulas, and secondly, a quadratic separation between resolution
width and monomial space in polynomial calculus with resolution. Our
super-polynomial separation between resolution and cut-free sequent
calculus only applies when clauses are seen as disjunctions of unbounded
arity; our examples have linear size cut-free sequent calculus proofs
writing, in a particular way, their clauses using binary disjunctions.
Interestingly, this shows that the complexity of sequent calculus
depends on how disjunctions are represented.

  For more information see the seminar web page at
  https://calendar.math.cas.cz/logic-seminar-actual .