[Proof Complexity] Prague seminar on Monday - Iddo Tzameret

thapen thapen at math.cas.cz
Tue Jun 1 22:58:29 CEST 2021

Iddo Tzameret will give a proof complexity talk in our online logic
seminar on Monday, at 15:45 Prague time - see the announcement below.

To join go to
https://cesnet.zoom.us/j/472648284?pwd=ZTlxeHhqWlltR1AzZC9CTHgzZ2tRZz09
Passcode: 017107 (if required)

Iddo Tzameret, Imperial College London
A Diagonalization-Based Approach to Proof Complexity

Monday, 7. June 2021 - 15:45 to 17:15

We propose a diagonalization-based approach to several important
questions in proof complexity. We illustrate this approach in the
context of the algebraic proof system IPS and in the context of
propositional proof systems more generally.

We use the approach to give an explicit sequence of CNF formulas phi_n
such that VNP \neq VP iff there are no polynomial-size IPS proofs for
the formulas phi_n. This provides the first natural equivalence between
proof complexity lower bounds and standard algebraic complexity lower
bounds. Our proof of this fact uses the implication from IPS lower
bounds to algebraic complexity lower bounds due to Grochow and Pitassi
together with a diagonalization argument: the formulas phi_n themselves
assert the non-existence of short IPS proofs for formulas encoding VNP
\neq VP at a different input length. Our result also has
meta-mathematical implications: it gives evidence for the difficulty of
proving strong lower bounds for IPS within IPS.

For any strong enough propositional proof system R, we define the
*iterated R-lower bound formulas*, which inductively assert the
non-existence of short R proofs for formulas encoding the same statement
at a different input length, and propose them as explicit hard
candidates for the proof system R. We observe that this hypothesis holds
for Resolution following recent results of Atserias and Muller and of
Garlik, and give evidence in favour of it for other proof systems.

Joint work with Rahul Santhanam