[Proof Complexity] Sam Buss' talk on Monday

thapen thapen at math.cas.cz
Sat Dec 12 18:00:51 CET 2020

Dear colleagues,

Sam Buss will give a proof complexity talk in our online logic seminar
on Monday - see the announcement below.

To join go to
https://cesnet.zoom.us/j/472648284?pwd=ZTlxeHhqWlltR1AzZC9CTHgzZ2tRZz09
Passcode: 017107 (if required)

Best,

Neil

  Monday 14th December, 3:30pm

   Place: Zoom meeting 472 648 284 - https://cesnet.zoom.us/j/472648284

  Speaker:Sam Buss, University of California, San Diego
  Title: Propositional branching program proofs and logics for L and NL

  Abstract

  We introduce systems of propositional logic for reasoning directly with
decision trees, non-deterministic decision trees, branching programs and
non-deterministic branching programs. These propositional systems allow
reasoning about properties in non-uniform logarithmic space and
non-deterministic logarithmic space. We also report on work-in-progress
to use these propositional proof systems for the bounded arithmetic
theories VL and VNL with proof theoretic strength corresponding to
logarithmic space and non-deterministic logarithmic space. The talk will
start with an overview of the propositional proof systems which are
already known to have close correspondences with bounded arithmetic. The
new results are joint work with Anupam Das and Alexander Knop.

  For more information see the seminar web page at
  https://calendar.math.cas.cz/logic-seminar-actual .