[Proof Complexity] preprint

Emil Jerabek jerabek at math.cas.cz
Thu Dec 17 17:35:08 CET 2015

Dear colleagues,

a new preprint, "Proof complexity of intuitionistic implicational
formulas", is available on my web page (http://math.cas.cz/~jerabek/).
Comments, corrections, and suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,
Emil Jerabek

Abstract:
We study implicational formulas in the context of proof complexity of
intuitionistic propositional logic (IPC). On the one hand, we give an
efficient transformation of tautologies to implicational tautologies
that preserves the lengths of intuitionistic extended Frege (EF) or
substitution Frege (SF) proofs up to a polynomial. On the other hand,
EF proofs in the implicational fragment of IPC polynomially simulate
full intuitionistic logic for implicational tautologies. The results
also apply to other fragments of other superintuitionistic logics
under certain conditions.

In particular, the exponential lower bounds on the length of
intuitionistic EF proofs by Hrubes, generalized to exponential
separation between EF and SF systems in superintuitionistic logics of
unbounded branching by Jerabek, can be realized by implicational
tautologies.