[Proof Complexity] Visiting PhD positions at KTH Royal Institute of Technology

Jakob Nordstrom jakobn at kth.se
Fri Nov 22 08:13:42 CET 2013

Dear colleagues,

Though this is not yet announced officially, I just wanted to let you know
that the Theory Group at KTH Royal Institute of Technology will have
openings for visiting PhD students starting in the spring of 2014. These
positions are intended for PhD students with a strong research record who
would like to spend part of their PhD program in another research
environment. The students will be hosted by Per Austrin
(http://www.csc.kth.se/~austrin/), Johan Hastad
(http://www.csc.kth.se/~johanh/), and/or Jakob Nordstrom
(http://www.csc.kth.se/~jakobn/), depending on profile and research
interest.

The default set-up would assume that the PhD students receive some kind of
basic salary/support from their home institutions, and that we cover any
extra costs involved with the visit to Stockholm (travel expenses,
accommodation, living expenses, et cetera). Other arrangements can also be
considered. The duration of stay could be from a couple of months up to a
full term.

For students with an interest in proof complexity and/or neighbouring
areas, it might be relevant to know that our postdoc Massimo Lauria will
be giving a course "Sum of squares and integer programming relaxations"
(http://www.csc.kth.se/~lauria/sos14/) --- an emerging area with
intriguing connections between proof complexity and hardness of
approximation --- from late January to early April, so this might be an
especially interesting time to visit.

There is no firm application deadline, but to be considered for the early
spring term it would help to contact us as soon as possible. We are still
finalizing the exact details of the application procedure, but we will
probably require a CV, a brief research statement, and the names of two
reference persons whom we can contact.

Informal inquiries are welcome and can be sent to me at jakobn at kth.se.

With best regards,
Jakob Nordström

Jakob Nordström, Assistant Professor
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
Osquars backe 2, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 790 69 19 (office), +46 70 742 21 98 (cell)
http://www.csc.kth.se/~jakobn/