[Proof Complexity] Preprint

Anupam Das anupamdotdas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:01:22 CET 2013

Dear all,

The following preprint (title and abstract below) may be interest to
those on this list:

http://www.anupamdas.com/items/WeakMonProofsPHP/WeakMonProofsPHP.pdf

Kind regards,
Anupam

The pigeonhole principle and related counting arguments in weak monotone
systems

We construct quasipolynomial-size proofs of the propositional pigeonhole
principle for the fragment of the sequent calculus with no cuts between
ancestors of left and right negation, weakening and contraction rules.
The main construction of our argument, inspired by previous work on the
monotone calculus by Atserias et al., provides formal proofs that
permute the inputs of formulae computing threshold functions,
essentially by implementing merge sort as a template.
Since it is non-trivial to eliminate the remaining weakening/contraction
cuts efficiently, our arguments are implemented in deep inference where
known normalization procedures exist, although this work is mostly
self-contained. This also (partially) answers previous questions raised
about the size of proofs of the pigeonhole principle in certain deep
inference systems.